Saturday, August 13, 2011

A New, Big, Wonderful Adventure

I am going to.... GHANA! For three months. And Newfoundland for three months. With Canada World Youth.
Hello! I am just a little bit thrilled...

Heads up, I'm going to ask you for money at the end of this post... I really need your help to make this happen!

The exchange starts in St.John's, Newfoundland, where I will meet the 9 Ghanaians participating as well as 8 other Canadians and our 2 project supervisors. One of the ghanaian girls will become my "counterpart" for the whole 6 months; we will live in the same host family both in Canada and in Ghana and be responsible for certain group activities together.

I leave for St. John's on September 4th. In other words: I will be leaving for 6 months in 22 days.

What CWY has to say about CWY:
-Canada World Youth is a non-profit, non-governmental organization that has been offering international educational programs to youth between the ages of 17 and 24 for 40 years.
-Canada World Youth's mission is to increase the ability of people, and especially young people, to participate actively in the development of just, harmonious and sustainable societies.


What I have to say about CWY: There are just so many fantastic things about this exchange.
- I am going to AFRICA before my 20th birthday!
-The theme of the exchange is Health, so our volunteer projects will be health-related. The project in Ghana will be working on preventing and controlling malaria in young children and women of child-bearing age.
-Girl power! It is an all-female exchange.
-Learning to speak "local dialect" of where I will live in Ghana.
-St.John's is gonna be brilliant... fiddle music, Newfies (I have to learn two new languages!), ocean, visiting a whole new part of Canada.
-I will get an attestation certificate with some university credit value by the end of the program.
-Having a ghanaian counterpart.
-It is practically free. But.....


One of my commitments to CWY is to fundraise $2800. It is going really well, considering I only started on Tuesday... but I will need lots more donations to keep this commitment! By supporting CWY, you will be making it possible for young people like me to take part in the CWY experience.
If you want to make a donation to Canada World Youth and my exchange, you can do so by credit card via this link:
or by cheque or cash through me. :)
Thank you in advance!
I will do my best to keep the blog lively throughout my exchange! I wonder whether the internet connection in Saltpond, Ghana is any good...

No comments:

Post a Comment