Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Day One

Good morning from Jacmel, Haiti!
After a long day of travel, I touched down in Port-Au-Prince just after nine yesterday morning. I made my way out of the airport with Maria, a missionary who works at the clinic and was on the same flight. I was happy to have her there, not only to show me where to go look for our ride, but because she was able to help me carry the ridiculously heavy bag of vitamins! Driving through Port-Au-Prince (in a Toyota 4 Runner piloted by someone named Junior) was exhausting to my senses. After a few nights of disrupted sleep, I just needed a nap by the time we were getting out of the thickest of the traffic. I woke up when Junior started honking around every corner. We had reached a narrow, winding mountain road and he was honking to let potential oncoming vehicles know we were there. This went on for a long time and I went back to sleep. I woke up for the descent into Jacmel, which sits on the south coast in a delta-esque plain. We got dropped off at the clinic, where we met Sarah and Ken, Maria's husband. I spent the afternoon hanging out at the clinic, as Sarah was on until four. We did a couple pre-natals and I got to practice palpation, auscultation, BP's and pulses. After we had driven a woman who had given birth that morning home, Sarah took me to her house, which is where I will be staying. She lives there with a fifteen-year-old girl named Danaelle and an eight-year-old girl named Dada. It's really close to the clinic, which is where I am now, so I'm going to go now! Hopefully I will be able to write bit, but I think I would prefer to find an internet cafe, so I don't feel like I'm hogging the laptop!
Love,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment