Saturday, January 14, 2012

Hello! My name is _____________.

New thing: 20 minute blog posts! ... GO!

Hello, my name is Aba Julia and I live in a small coastal town called Saltpond, in the Central region of Ghana, West Africa. I spend my days with my CWY exchange group, my host family and my neighbours, learning all kinds of cross-cultural stuff. My favourites times are visiting my neighbours and learning new skills (like pounding fufu) or new words (like nketse). My other favourite times are when they let me hold the baby, Kodjo Robert, and he smiles and laughs with me. When the really little kids stare and stare at me I like to stare right back into their big brown eyes. Some times I don't like are when we have fish heads and banku for supper, because banku has exactly the taste and texture of homemade playdough and fish heads... well, they're fish heads. That, and when they cane the kids at school or I see rats in the hospital ward where I worked . My other name is obruni... this is what everyone in the street calls as I walk by. It means "white person" and it can be novel and funny or just plain annoying. I am ridiculously blessed and privileged. I am so glad to be canadian.

Your friend,
Aba Julia

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hoolia:)

    I just wanted to letcha know I was creepin' your blog-- I really like it! Miss you and thinking about you! <3

    Love your pastry sister,

    Nikita xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia I'm Nicole and I just randomly found your blog from Google by searching Aldea Yanapay. I have questions to ask you if you don't mind! Can you please send me an email to my email address (nicolewang21@gmail.com) as I can't find your email address or link for an email. pls and thanks!
    Nicole - Edmonton, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi NIkita, Thanks! hope to see you soon :)

    Nicole, check your inbox... :)

    ReplyDelete