Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Ete sen!?

-a peaceful evening at Tatamagouche Centre-

-me and my counterpart, Ethel!-
Ete sen?! What's up?
So, much has happened since I last wrote... I don't know where to begin. Let's start with one of the bigger and newer pieces of news then; counterpart selection!

I realize this might not mean much to you at home; but to us volunteers it is probably the biggest news we will receive in the whole course of the program. This is the person we will live with for 6 months. We will be each others teacher, co-worker, partner, cheerleader and hopefully, friend. Hopefully like sisters, even! My counterparts name is Ethel and I will tell you more about her as I get to know her better. :)

 I was so nervous to find out who my counterpart would be, for no particular reason but talking to Ethel has really calmed my nerves and I think we have similar hopes for the program and will get along just fine, if not really well! To find out who our counterparts were, our project supervisors had us put on masks and find the person wearing the matching one... let's just say there was a lot of squealing in the dining hall in those first moments.

The squealing. Is just one of the reasons I am starting to worry more about this being an all-female exchange group. Being here at Orientation Camp with the Moncton-Otuam exchange group, which does include men, has reminded me that I actually do hang out with guys quite frequently... because I get along well with them! I will miss the different strengths that guys bring to working in a group situation like this... and I will miss their generally more calm behaviour at times. I just have to remember that St.John's is not completely populated by women! I will have my work placement and my host family too...

Volunteer Orientation Camp, by the way, is taking place in Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia. The landscape doesn't do much to inspire me... just trees and insignificant hills; but I do love the smell of salt water wafting from Tatamagouche Bay. Not much of an ocean either; just tide washing gently over and off a shallow sandy inlet. I've heard that St.John's is very different and much more rugged.

We leave the Tatamagouche Centre Friday at 2:30 to fly to St. John's and meet our host families.

With love,
Julia

p.s. Computer time is about as common as a sunny day in Vancouver here, so more about Ghanaian culture to come when I get a chance!


No comments:

Post a Comment